Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Critical Literacy

I'd like to build upon my original interpretation of the meaning of critical literacy: " ...[T]exts are not neutral, I've always known it, and I believe that it is imperative that educators take an active and challenging approach to reading. It is of the utmost importance that teachers empower their students to question and critically analyze texts; so, students develop an awareness of the relationships between texts, language, power, social groups, and societal practices." I would like to edit my original post. As, I feel that teachers should empower their students to question and critically analyze social biases, norms, and society at large. Critical literacy is about realizing that books can serve as a platform for exposing social ills.
In fact, the more we examine texts the more this statement rings true: "There are no neutral texts." It is both daunting and empowering to understand that every book can and should be critically analyzed. Daunting because this realization leaves little room for vacillation. In other words, once you know that you should be using a critical lens when reading you are obligated to practice it, and you can no longer accept texts at face value. At the same time it is empowering, because you, the reader are aware that each book conveys a certain message, reveal a certain bias or belief, etc. Thus, you can uncover these messages hidden in plain sight, and you won't be take in by them.
Actually, over the course of this class I have been surprised to discover a stunning number of underlying messages and stereotypes perpetuated in my own writing--it appears my critical lens is working overtime.

No comments: