Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Teacher Interview

I spoke with a ten year veteran of the DC Public school system. She is currently teaching third grade in an urban school. Although, her school failed to meet its targeted Annual Yearly Percentage (AYP)in reading for the '06-'07 school year her class met Reading AYP, and even more astonishing they did so without Houghton Mifflin! This is a transcript of my interview with the aforementioned teacher:

What role does literature play in your classroom curriculum?
Well, our school has a block schedule. So we are required to teach literacy for 120 minutes a day (she says with a wry smile). However, literature is around us at all times, and [I think] it is important that we incorporate it in all aspects of [student] lives and learning. [Thus,] I try to incorporate literature in every subject. I think this opens up [my students'] eyes to the creative aspect of all [subject areas].

What kinds of books are chosen?
I check to see that...
a) The book will appeal [to the students]
b) The book will reinforce what I am teaching.

Why and how?

I preview a lot of kid books, excuse me, children's literature. The books I preview are ones that I have researched, or ones that have been recommended by other teachers or even my students. [As I preview I am looking to see if the book] is on topic, will reinforce the standards, and will appeal to the students. I am even checking the cultural aspects of class. My class has a lot of ELL kids, and I try to pick books that appeal to them and me too!

What is the teacher's theoretical perspective on teaching or specifically on using children's literature in the curriculum?

I believe that using a variety of authentic literature allows the teacher to have creativity and versatility [so] they are not stuck using one system. Last year, for example, I didn't use H.M. just good fun stories. I also use reader's workshop.

1 comment:

MV said...

Ah...someone who talks about authentic literature...definitely an anomaly so far in comparison to the other interviewee responses.

Loved the Houghton Mifflin comment!

Thank You
v